FYAE compiled a list of answers to some frequently asked questions below. You may find additional frequently asked questions or submit your own question through AskUCF.


How do I know who my advisor is?

You will receive contact information at Orientation for your first year advisor. This first year advisor will be your primary contact person throughout the summer semester for any questions you may have. At the start of the fall semester you may be reassigned to a different advisor from FYAE. You will be contacted by your assigned advisor for the fall and Spring semester during September.

Beginning in September you will also be able to view your assigned advisor on the myUCF Student Center. Navigate to your “Student Self Service,” and then scroll to the right side of the screen. You can find your advisor information in the blue “My Advisor” box.

If you change your major your assigned advisor will remain the same. Advisors are trained to work with all majors.

Scholarship student-athletes are advised by Academic Services for Student-Athletes.

How do I schedule an appointment with my academic advisor?

You can schedule appointments in-person at our office or on the phone.

Do academic advisors know exactly how I am performing in all my classes?

Academic advisors do not have access to your daily work or exams in any of your classes and are unable to look up grades for your current courses. Advisors only have access to see your UCF cumulative and overall cumulative GPAs for all terms in which official term GPAs have been posted. You should have a good idea how you are performing in all of your classes and if you have questions, contact your instructor(s) to discuss your progress.

Is it okay for my parent(s) to contact my academic advisor?

We are more than happy to speak to your parent(s), but due to Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations, we cannot discuss your personal records, and can only speak in general terms. There may be situations where you would like your parents to meet with an academic advisor, and we can certainly accommodate this and discuss the options that are available to you as a student before the meeting.


How do I know when I can sign up for classes?

You can access your enrollment appointment date via your myUCF Student Center. To access your date go to your “Student Self Service”, and then scroll to the right side of screen to the “Enrollment Appointment” box and click on “Details.” This will show the specific day and time you are assigned. Change the selected term, if necessary. The enrollment appointment times are updated in early October and March.

Spring courses are open for registration during the preceding Fall semester. Summer and Fall courses are open for registration during the preceding Spring semester. First-year students register for their first Summer, if applicable, and Fall semesters during their orientation.

Enrollment appointment times are determined by credit hours completed and GPA. Special groups such as Honors, Lead Scholars, Student-Athletes, students with disabilities, and ROTC receive early registration. These students register for courses on the first available registration day.

How do I waitlist a course?

You are able to place yourself onto a waitlist for courses that are full through myUCF. Not all courses have the waitlist option enabled. Courses that do not have the option enabled will show closed with a blue box. Visit the Registrar’s Office guide for more details on how to waitlist a course.

Can FYAE override me into a class?

FYAE is not able to override you into any course. You should contact the department or advising office responsible for the course in question for an override. Each college and department advising office may have different requirements to request overrides. Consult the Undergraduate Catalog course descriptions for college and department information or speak with an FYAE academic advisor for help determining the correct office that houses the course. There are no guarantees when seeking an override that it will be granted.


What is the NC grade?

The NC (No Credit) grade does not affect a student’s GPA. The NC grade is only available in certain Chemistry, English, Math and Statistics courses and it replaces the use of D+, D and D- in the grading scale. To be eligible for a NC grade, you must meet the requirements set by the instructor. You should consult your syllabi to determine if any of your courses are NC eligible and the requirements to be eligible for the NC grade The course would have to be repeated only if needed for your major. Repeating the course does not make the NC grade disappear on your transcripts.

My professor issued me an incorrect grade. How do I fix this?

If you feel an instructor has issued you an incorrect grade, you need to contact the instructor first. If there was indeed an error, an instructor can agree to a grade change. The instructor will then initiate a formal process for a grade change with his or her department/college. If your instructor does not respond to your attempt to contact him or her, then contact the department responsible for offering the course.

Per the UCF Undergraduate Catalog, “Grade changes other than medical withdrawals will be considered only during the term immediately following the one in which the grade was assigned, except that grades assigned during the Spring semester maybe changed during either the following Summer term or Fall semester.”


I have missing AP, IB, Dual Enrollment, AICE, or CLEP credits. What should I do to receive these credits at UCF?

Contact the office of Undergraduate Admissions to verify if they have score reports or transcripts that were not processed yet. If Undergraduate Admissions does not have the score reports or transcripts you are missing you will need to contact the respective organizations or institutions to resend them. Undergraduate Admissions does not accept high school transcripts for awarding college level credit.

How do I take classes at another institution?

See our information about taking transient course work.